A website through which it is possible to monitor the implementation of the Brazilian solid waste Policy (PNRS). It is a virtual tool, that will help people to monitor the process and to assume their responsibility in the waste management system.
The address is http://www.observatoriopnrs.org. Among the objectives of the Centre are:
- Monitor the process of negotiation of sectoral agreements, giving transparency to their procedures;
- Define metrics and indicators to monitor the progress of the goals of PNRS;
- Collect information and create a database that will allow monitoring by enterprises and the public sector;
- Monitor the disabling of landfills;
- Map the performance of selective collection held by companies and cooperatives of collectors.
The initiative has the support of the following institutions: Abrampa (Brazilian Association of the members of the Public Ministry of the environment), Abrelpe (Brazilian Association of Public Cleaning and special waste), ABLP (Brazilian Association of solid waste and Public Cleansing), BVRio (green bag of Rio de Janeiro), GVces (Center for sustainability studies at the school of business administration of the Getúlio Vargas Foundation) , Cieds (Centro Integrado de Estudos e Sustainable development programmes), Cycles, Conservation International Brazil, Avina Foundation, SOS Mata Atlântica, green background/UFRJ, Giral, Akatu Institute, Ethos Institute, Ipea, IPP, Itep, Venturi Institute, Nima/PUC-Rio, Procam-USP, O.r. sustainability, Unisinos, UFCG, UFRRJ and WWF-Brazil.
The PNRS was instituted by Federal Law No. 12,305, August 2, 2010, and defines how should the solid waste management in Brazil. It will be up to the Union, Federal District, States and municipalities give environmentally appropriate disposal. Ordinary people also have their part to fulfill in the process.
The policy is considered groundbreaking in its assumptions, as well as to impute responsibility shared among all the waste generators, ones still promotes the social inclusion of the pickers of recyclable materials in the production chain.